Sunday, June 21, 2009

Never the Bride

I love stories. When I learned to read, I found a way to visit far off places, learn about times past and expand my horizons. As a child I would re-read favorite books, to reconnect with those friends. As an adult I have found that there are too many books waiting to be read, and too many friends to invite into my life.
When my youngest learned to read this year it warmed my heart when she said, "Now I understand why you like to read so much, Mama."

What would it be like to let God write your story? Would you be willing to give your favorite pen to Him to allow Him to do so? Jessie Stone is a romantic. She was put in the challenging position of raising her younger sister after the death of their parents. She is self-sufficient (and can even change her own tires), but doesn't want to be. She wants someone to love her unconditionally and to take care of her. She has been a bridesmaid eleven times, and longs to be the bride. In her journals she has written over a thousand romantic proposals of marriage.
Into her life comes Someone who loves her unconditionally; Someone who is absolutely crazy about her. But no one else can see Him, making her wonder if she is crazy. God offers to write her love story, if she will only turn over her favorite pen to Him and allow Him to work in her life. Jessie is reluctant to do this, but as she spends time with God, she comes to trust Him more. She finally realizes that He wants only the best for her, and is the only one who will never fail her.

I received a copy of Never the Bride by Cheryl McKay and Rene Gutteridge a few days ago, just before leaving for a home school convention where I was an exhibitor. What a joy to be able to finish the latest book by these two talented ladies this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment